Ardha Matsyendrasana Steps | The Half Spinal Twist Pose Steps
- Sit in any comfortable cross-legged position.
- Straighten the legs out in front. Bend the right knee and bring the heel of the right
foot close to the left hip.
- Inhale and bend the left knee upward and place the left foot flat on the floor to the
right of the right leg with the ankle touching the right thigh.
- While turning the spine to the left straighten the right arm bringing it around to the
outside of the left knee and grasp the left foot with the right hand.
- Turn your head as far as possible to the left and bend the left arm behind your back.
Keep your spine, neck and head aligned and continue to exert effort at turning to the
- Repeat the posture the other side by reversing directions 2-6.
- The posture can be held for as long as you are comfortable. (One repetition consists of performing the posture on each side. Two to three full repetitions should be done at each session.
Ardha Matsyendrasana Benefits | The Half Spinal Twist Pose Benefits
- The Half Spinal Twist is one of the best Yoga postures for cultivating flexibility and strength in the spine.
- It sooths stiff necks and upper back tension caused by stress, poor posture, or prolonged periods of sitting in one position.
- The alternating compression and release of the abdominal region flushes this area with blood and massages the internal organs.
- Muscles of the stomach and hips are also toned from repeated practice of
the Half Spinal Twist.